Blog

One man’s meat …

March 13, 2012

Worrying news this morning that 20 per cent of meat is going to kill you. Or that if you eat red meat more than three times a week your legs will explode. Or that hotdogs are the devil’s work (didn’t we know that one already?)

I have since got the results back from my own survey, which, I can reveal, says that 95 per cent of surveys will worry the bejeezus out of you. The other 5 per cent refer to stuff you don’t do, so you don’t have to worry about them. They’ll be terrifying someone else.

Seriously, the survey said if you eat red meat more than three times a week, you’re in trouble. Unfortunately, red meat includes stuff like sausages and bacon, which are the only things some members of this household will touch. Altogether, it’s a big headache. As if feeding six people who seem to have taken a vow never to like the same stuff at the same time is not enough of a challenge.

Okay, so it’s chicken and fish from now on. Anyone got any good recipes? Meanwhile, we’ll have to empty the fridge of the potentially lethal stuff I bought in happy, pre-survey ignorance just yesterday. And guess what’s on the menu tonight? Yep. Sausages. Wrapped in bacon. Naturally.

Piggies in blankets, or as I now think of them, cold-blooded assassins

You Might Also Like

  • Addy March 13, 2012 at 2:19 pm

    There’s always something, isn’t there? If it’s not salmonella eggs, it’s butter versus marg, mercury in tuna, or mad cow disease. Even spring water gets a thumbs down now and again. We could live on just fresh air, but I’m sure the environmentalists will say THAT is not breathable on occasion. Everything in moderation, say I. Enjoy the pigs in blankets. You’ve got to die of something!

    • Dulwich Divorcee March 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm

      Thanks, Addy, you’re so right – reminds me of a favourite cartoon showing two cavemen, one saying, ‘I don’t understand it, everything we eat is free range and organic, yet we all die before we’re 30’. Behind them, a very large mammoth is listening in and nodding ….
      My worst one was when a dentist told me carbonated water was ruining my teeth …. gah!

  • English Mum March 13, 2012 at 4:19 pm

    What Addy said! We’re big meat lovers here, but I try and temper it by doing at least one pasta dish a week, plus a fish one (I do paella or a fish pie topped with mash). Sunday, though…. it’s got to be a roast, right? And I can’t live without sausages… *sob*

    • Dulwich Divorcee March 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm

      I know, and what about spaghetti bolognaise?! That’s always turning up here, disguised as chili con carne, lasagne, shepherd’s pie …. I’m going to have to change my ways and do one of your fish pies, and the paella sounds yummy, thank you x